To Read on the Journey

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Tangible God (Day 23)

For 31 days I am writing to my children
my future grandchildren, great, and all my great-grandchildren.


I have seen God move tangibly at many times in my life. 

November 13th, 1992, is a tangible-God day I will never forget . 

That Saturday morning I was scheduled with an evangelism class I’d been taking to work at a fair “barking” at passers by to come into a tent where they would have the opportunity to hear the gospel (I’m embarrassed now about the approach taken). 

I had made an obligation to "bark," but I didn’t want to be there.  I was feeling such grief over a number of things.  I was consumed with questions over my relationship (or lack there of) with each of my parents.  In the last year I had jumped feet first into every Christ-centered activity available in an attempt to prove myself worthy of love, and on this particular morning I was exhausted by the doing. I couldn't stand there and paint a smile on my torn canvas. I asked my evangelism teacher if I could step away to pray for a bit. 

I walked to the other side of the fairground found an isolated place and sat on a bench. I sat there and took in the still.  I recall telling God, “I don't want to be here.”  The “here” that I was implying was more emotional then it was physical.  I cried, “What is going on with my dad? What is going on with my mom?"  I sobbed, “Am I okay with you? I need You to tell me I’m okay.” 

I sat there tired and sobbing for some time. 

After my cry I looked up and saw a few children running 30 yards away from me.  As I watched them I recalled something I had heard the day before about approaching God as a child.  I prayed, “God make me a child.  Make me dependent on you, Father.” 

I returned to the tent and to my position “barking” at passers by. 

I was there just a few minutes when an older man in a booth across the way motioned at me to come and give him the questionnaire. 

I had only asked the man three of the ten questions before Gil (his name) interrupted me, “Denise what is going on with you? You have got a backpack on your back this high. God doesn’t want you carrying that heavy load.  Then he spoke God’s comfort and Truth into me. 
He continued on counseling me about my relationship with each of my parents. 
This stranger counseled me for 1.5 hours.
As our time was coming to an end Gil said to me, “Denise, you are alright. You are okay. You are doing just fine.”  At that I began to cry.  He finished by saying, “Do you know what you remind me of right now?” I looked directly at him, anticipating what he was about to say, what the Spirit speaking through this stranger was about to say, "You remind me of a child."

I cried, “I just prayed that!” 

Gil seemed as stunned as I was about our conversation. Puzzled he asked, “this was some kind of arranged meeting from God?”  I responded, “an appointment, a divine appointment.”

And our conversation ended. 

I recall driving home from the morning and thinking of Isaiah 9:6
“For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.”

Mighty God had tangibly met with me.  Me.  Through a stranger, He spoke, and counseled me, Father comforted me, and lead me in peace. 

God lead me in peace, a peace I would need 6 days later when my best friend, Nicole, died tragically in an accident.  

It was a great loss for a 19 year old girl.  But when I considered how generous God had been to go ahead of this tragedy to secure my confidence in Him, I was overwhelmed.  
I knew He was God and real and that He held my friend.

Over the years I have come to know God as the Comforter who provides me with "blessed assurance" when He knows I need it.     

This encounter also altered my prayer life.  I became certain that God hears our prayers; that He is not far, but near.  So near.  I began to pray knowing that God longs to be intimate with His children. 

My prayer for you is that you will KNOW God intimately.  That you will know Him who is not far but near. I pray the Spirit will open your eyes to see Him. I pray you will know the LORD as He came to be known, as Mighty God, Wonderful Counselor, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. I pray in the name of Jesus. Knowing there is power in my prayers. Amen.  

Live in Peace,


 

 
Day 20 & 21- O I Need Thee 
Day 22- I Know Day 
Day 23- Tangible God 

No comments: