To Read on the Journey

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

GOD is GOD. (Day 3)

For 31 days I am writing to my children
 my future grandchildren, great, and all my great-grandchildren.

"Remember the former things, those of long ago;  
I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is none like me.  
 I make known the end from the beginning, from ancient times, what is still to come.
 I say: My purpose will stand, and I will do all that I please." 
Isaiah 46:9-10

I worship gods.

I don't want to, but I do.

I heard once that when we worship we give something "worthship."

I do that.  Everyday I do that.

I give worth to money.  I count on it to be my Provider.
I place value in things.  I rely on them to be my Sustainer.
I esteem knowledge.  I allow it to replace my Teacher.
I get swept away by emotions.  I follow them as Shepherd.
I get caught up in activity.  I think busyness will be my Comforter.
I treasure worldly status & accolades.  I desperately rely on these to tell me who I am; to be my Truth.
I become prideful and consumed with righteousness.  I exalt myself.  I become the worst god I worship. 

These are just a handful of things I worship.  Just a few of my gods.  

Everything and anything will attempt to shove God out of his rightful place in your life.

I pray fervently that you won't allow anything to take One True God's place, but I understand that you will. 

The other evening at the dinner table, after reading the Word together, Emilie asked the question we all ask at some time, "what if Eve hadn't eaten that apple?"  She and Josie went on to imagine what the world would be like.  And then I interrupted, "If Eve hadn't disobeyed God and eaten the fruit sooner or later someone would have.  I would have."

Like Eve, I would have fallen for Satan's, "did God really say...?"
I fall for it now. 

I fall for it and let other things be LORD (Reign, or be Master) of my life.

I am the LORD your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery,  you shall have no other gods before me."   Exodus 20:1 

This first commandment is a charge, instruction, a law, from a loving Father,  who brought not only the Israelite's out of slavery, but wants to keep us from becoming a slave to anything.  God knows that other things are vying to be LORD of your life.  That Satan, the deceiver, will entice us with whatever he can get his grimy hands on to lure us away from One True God.  And because God is a good Father, He cautions us to "watch out!"  Not because He is a kill-joy, but because EVERYTHING that wants to take His place as God is.

Everything wants to be God of your life.

 But know (know it deep)- GOD is the only One WORTHY of being LORD of your life.  
 Canvas print available at the Kiss the Sky shop.
  
***********************************************

My passion and prayer for all my children~

God, You are God there is no other.  God, You are God, there is none like You. You make known the end from the beginning. Your purposes they will stand.  
Thank you that You Are God.  Reign in my life, reign in my children (my children, my grandchildren, my great grandchildren, my great great grandchildren... all my children).  We (mankind) foolishly attempts to replace you with so many things, but nothing comes close to you, God. There is none like you. Thank you that you make known; make known the end from the beginning, and every detail in between. Thank you that it is your purposes that will stand; that will prevail.  
I trust your purposes Creator, Maker, Provider, Sustainer, Teacher, Shepherd, Comforter, Truth...  Thank you that you are God, and that I don't have to be-I fail miserably every time I try. Thank you that you are a loving Father who allows us to be children, while you care for us, God.  
I exalt you. Lord God Almighty (God-of-the-Angel-Armies)  protect all my children from Satan's snares. Lead each one in Wisdom and Truth. Cause them to fix their eyes on you.  Spirit lead all my children to exalt you, to know you are the only One Worthy of being God of their lives. In the great name of Jesus, amen.


Live in Peace!



Other posts from 31 Days of God-giver:
Day 1- Reap What I Sow
Day2- Get To Know God 

5 comments:

Unknown said...

What a great reminder of the way every day things become idols. I've never heard the term "worthship" but it puts a whole new spin on protecting ourselves from idols. Thank you!

Unknown said...

I LOVE this! What a beautiful 31 days. Hugs.

Kelli said...

Love this post...what a good reminder and a much needed one.

The Olive Tree Blog said...

so true! it may not be in form of a quote "god" but there are all kinds of idols than can get in the way!

Linda Z said...

I love that paragraph at the top. How important it is to remember that He is the only "Creator, Maker, Provider, Sustainer, Teacher, Shepherd, Comforter, Truth..."