To Read on the Journey

Monday, October 29, 2012

My Grandfather's Prayers (Day 30)

For 31 days I am writing to my children
my future grandchildren, great, and all my great-grandchildren.

"A good man leaves an inheritance for his children's children." 
Proverbs 13:22 a

My grandfather use to kneel by my bedside and pray. 
I didn't know it then, but he was fighting for me (and my little sister beside me, who hogged the bed); pleading to God on my behalf.

At the time my dad, his only son, was a volatile drug user, who lived in the driveway in his blue van (in his van was a retro orange floral couch, a little stand with a b/w t.v. with a large rabbit ear antenna on top, his "art" served as wallpaper, and an American flag draped the back window as a curtain.  A rose was painted on the outside of the van near the gas tank.  Coincidentally, when I hear The Rose by Bette Midler I think of my dad).   I don't know where my mother was. 

I remember my grandfather's face as he'd pray.  There was urgency in his expression.  Sometimes tears accompanied his urgency.  I know now that he wanted and hoped for me a life of blessing instead of the curse I had been dealt. 

Fast forward 20 years to May 7th, 1998, and 5 days after Noah was born.  My grandparents visited our home for the first time to lay eyes on their first great-grandchild (the bed-hogger brought them).  

My grandparents were delighted to hold the next generation in their arms, but something more than their affection for Noah caught my attention that day~ my grandfather's joy. 

He watched me for the first time in my lovely little home, with my husband and son, and saw that I was cherished and cared for.  

His joy was the result of his relief as he observed that the shadow that once hovered over my life was now enveloped by Light, and the next generation was beginning life in blessing instead of despair.
 
My favorite moment from that day was when my grandfather (a quiet man, who never spoke a word of English) placed his hand on Michael's shoulder and gave him a man-to-man firm grip of approval.  He said nothing, but his delight was evident~ ALL  he had wanted and hoped for on his knees at my bedside, and for 20 years,  had been answered.
My favorite photo of my grandfather, Antonio Teodosio.

"A good man leaves an inheritance for his children's children."  One commentary said this regarding this passages: He files many a prayer in heaven in their behalf, and his good example and advices are remembered and quoted from generation to generation.

My beloved grandfather left me a very good inheritance indeed!  And not just that, but he set an example for me to "file many a prayer in heaven" for my children and my children's children, too. 

(My grandfather's prayers for the bed-hogger were generously answered, too.  My sister loves the LORD, is married to a godly man who gives himself up for her, and is mom to two delightful  boys).
 
Live in Peace!



Day 20 & 21- O I Need Thee 
Day 22- I Know Day 
Day 23- Tangible God
Day 26- Let It Sink In 
Day 27 & 28- Husbands  
Day 29- 248 Nights Without Sleep

4 comments:

Unknown said...

and I am crying..........
xoxoo

The Writer Chic said...

AMAZING legacy!

Jennifer {Studio JRU} said...

his hopes and prayers were answered... tears... lovely. this is such a touching post, denise. love this one!! xo

The Olive Tree Blog said...

ok I teared up a bit. such a sweet sweet sweet post. my mother in law is such an amazing person and she tells me all the time that she prayed for me before she even knew me.

I too spent time in prayer praying over my children and their future friends and spouses and children.