To Read on the Journey

Saturday, October 6, 2012

Find Your Voice (Day 6)

For 31 days I am writing to my children
 my future grandchildren, great, and all my great-grandchildren. 

From the time she wakes till the moment she's out for the night Josie sings. Her vocal expressions are silly, serious, powerful, contemplative, growly, and whimsical.  Her tone is high and low and everywhere in between (she reminds me of me at her age).  Her siblings tire of it, and whine that she "please stop!"  I try not to be annoyed by her constant serenades.  Josie needs to sing.  I respond to her siblings, "let her sing, she is finding her voice."

When Michael photographs weddings he takes an average of 1,500 photos.  Of the 1,500 images, a third are good, many are stunning, and handful are absolutely breathtaking.  He finds his voice in the stories he tells with the camera.

Emilie is talented in many ways, she enjoys art, her fingers dance across piano keys beautifully, and she can give a fantastic massage!  But I see that her real gift is her tender heart.  I watch her extend her lovely voice of compassion and kindness to others often.

Noah doesn't know it yet, but he is a teacher.  When he shares with me his perception of his small piece of the world, truth and grace are wisely woven in with his thoughts.  He is growing into the kind of man people will listen to and follow.  He doesn't know it, but he is finding his voice of leadership.

Like Josie, I love to sing.  At a young age I delighted in finding my voice, and used it to lead worship for 15 years.  However, over the course of a few years my voice has been changing.  I have discovered it isn't the singing that I love, it is the Voice within me- the Spirit stirring, and the pouring him out.   In the last few years I have recognized the Spirit prompting me to write.  It doesn't come easily, and like Josie's musical expression or Micahel's photos I have to extend kindness to myself as I too am "finding my voice" as a writer.   Sometimes I think I should stop,  but The Voice stirs within me to spill words on a page.


 My prayer is that you too will find great joy in the Voice that resides in you.  The Spirit of God longs to pour into you And out of you.  I encourage you to "find your voice," find what ignites you to "open your mouth and let the Lord out."  And once you find it know that the God of the universe is limitless!  There are no boundaries on what He can do through you. 


Live in Peace, 
 



Posts from 31 Days of God-giver:
Day 1- Reap What I Sow
Day2- Get To Know God  
Day3-  God is God.


3 comments:

Megan said...

Beautiful words. I love the 31 days idea!

Jennifer {Studio JRU} said...

"Open your mouth and let the Lord out." Yes, oh yes! Beautiful, Denise!

Linda Z said...

"There are no boundaries on what He can do through you."

Such a good, encouraging word. Thank you!!

I love how you "spill" your words onto the page. I love you thoughtfulness and the way that you serve and inspire others through your writing. :)