To Read on the Journey

Saturday, October 27, 2012

Husbands (Day 27 & 28)

For 31 days I am writing to my children
my future grandchildren, great, and all my great-grandchildren.

"Husbands loves your wives as Christ loved the church 
and gave himself up for her to make her holy, 
by the cleansing of the word." 
Ephesians 5:26

I don't know how Michael does it- loves me and gives himself up for me.
I am critical, demanding, irritable, whiny, a worrier, and selfish- too often thinking of myself first.

I am not worthy of Michael's love,
but he does not see it that way.

He refers to critical me as "Sweetie."
He embraces demanding me, telling me daily, "I'm so glad that you're my wife."
When I am irritable he is compassionate.
When I whine he listens and directs me toward Truth.
When I worry he is calm. He is tender to my fears and speaks reason and comfort into me.
When I am selfish he cares for my deeper need; to be protected and cared for.

Michael doesn't let me get away with my foolishness (not anymore), but he is so full of care in how he husbands me (uh huh, "husbands" is a verb).

Michael MAGNIFIES who Jesus is by the way he husbands.

Because of Michael I see how Christ loves me and how He loves the church body.
I see what happens to a person when they are really loved- how it changes a person.
And, I begin to love others out of the surplus of love generously given to me.

"Oh how the little things 
Strengthen my tiny wings 
Help me to take on the world,
When you love me
There's nothing I wouldn't try
I might even fly."
Sara Groves

I pray that my daughters marry a man like their daddy.  I pray that my son, and grandsons, and all my great-grandsons will husband like Michael, and that they too will MAGNIFY who Jesus is to their wives. I pray this because this kind of love creates God glory ("the glory of God is man fully alive").  I want that for all my children.

Live in Peace, 

 
Day 20 & 21- O I Need Thee 
Day 22- I Know Day 
Day 23- Tangible God

1 comment:

Jennifer {Studio JRU} said...

so sweet, so wonderful, so beautiful. such a blessing to have a husband that husbands in this special way. a gift. one i am grateful for too!