To Read on the Journey

Monday, October 1, 2012

Get To Know God (DAY 2)

my future grandchildren, great, and all my great-grandchildren. 

When I was a young teen I didn’t want to know God.  My life was miserable and my attitude was 'If there is a God then why did he give me this life? I had done nothing to deserve it.'

As my relationship with God grew, I realized that that was precisely why He wanted me to get to know Him.  He wanted to be Comforter, and the Light that would lead the way out.

Get to know God as friend. 

You know when you get to know someone, and by simply being with them you feel at home, and free to be who you really are.  No masquerading, no having-it-all-together, because that person delights in quirky, wonderful you!   That's what it is like being friends with God, except a million times better. 


 God has the best sense of humor.  The stories I could tell about things I've prayed, and the ways He has responded are comical!

Like any friendship your going to get ticked at God because he won't always do what you want, or think what you want him to.  He won't explain himself either.  You'll be good and mad at Him because you'll want to take a turn being God, and He won't let you.  If you stick with him (and oh, I pray that you will)  hind-sight will be 20/20, and you will see that he always has what is best in mind.  Always.


Nowhere else will you find a friend as wild about you as God~

He thinks you are amazing, gifted, capable, and delights in being your own personal cheerleader rooting you on! 

When you get knocked down, God whisper's truth to you (listen), is protective of you, and fights for you.

Because He loves you, He tells you what you need to hear instead of what you want to hear (you won't like this, but you'll trust Him more for it).  

He's generous in so many ways, even when you don't deserve it (I now find myself joyfully exclaiming to God, "why did You give me this life, I've done nothing to deserve it!")

His friendship stands the test of time AND the test of grace.

Photos of Emilie and Josie on the homemade swing on our old hillside, 2010.

 
It is my prayer that you will be purposeful about getting to  to know Him.  You will find the God of the universe to be your greatest companion as you journey through life.


"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and future.  Then you will call on me, and I will listen to you.  You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all of your heart.  I will be found by you,"  declares the Lord. 
Jeremiah  29: 11-14


Live in Peace!

   
Links for days 1-31:
Day 1~
Reap What I Sow 

5 comments:

Southern Gal said...

I saw admire you for jumping into the 31 days series with Nester. It's a daunting task in my eyes, yet there are bloggers like you who can make a subject come alive with purpose. Thanks.

Joy said...

What a treasure for your decendants, and a treat for us to share!

Jennifer {Studio JRU} said...

Get to know God as friend. Yes... oh yes! Wonderful advice! :)

Linda Z said...

I have often felt estranged from God during the struggles of the last couple years. This is a beautiful painting of His friendship. Thank you.

The photos of your girls are so stunning and speak volumes. :)

Simply Sara said...

oh denise.

these words were water to my soul this morning.

i am in a "ticked" at god place right now... even though i know better. i know hindsight is 20/20.
i know He has His best for me.
it's just hard right now.

anyways, just want you to know these words. they are perfect.
this encouragement. for your future littles. it's perfect.

His friendship really is so precious. (even when i'm mad ;)