To Read on the Journey

Thursday, October 4, 2012

Pray. Don't Think, Just Do It. (Day 5)

For 31 days I am writing to my children
 my future grandchildren, great, and all my great-grandchildren. 
The last 2 days have been rough.
I have been in pain. 
I endure pain daily, but for the past 2 days there has been additional, unbearable pain.  

From my experience Satan will use the pain to divert my attention from God, causing me to be ineffective for his glory.  Additionally, with pain it is easy to be consumed by the pain and have a "woe is me" attitude.  The "woe is me" attitude can easily become my god. 

These words and prayers are something I have been thinking of writing to you for years.  Last week I was finally nudged  to action by the words, "don't think, just do it."  I expressed to Michael that I was concerned the deceiver would use this pain to distract me from following through on this 31 Days of God-giving. 

I also shared with Michael that I didn't want the pain to occupy my thoughts and keep me from worshipping God, as it typically does when I'm in the "poor poor pitiful me" place.

I was vulnerable with my husband because I needed him to intercede for me.  I couldn't see straight past the pain, and I needed to be fought for through prayer.  
And he did pray.  
One thing he prayed specifically was that my mind would be filled with worship instead of the pain.

Last night I attempted sleep (pain reliever was necessary).  I was wide awake a number of times with discomfort; however, each time I woke a praise song surprised me, and consumed my thoughts.  Praise songs that I didn't reach for were sweetly present at the forefront of my mind.  Praise songs I hadn't heard for years comforting me in my discomfort, "Bless the LORD, Oh my soul, and all that is within me, bless his holy name. He has done great things, He has done great things, He has done great things, bless his holy name." 

And though the discomfort hadn't subsided, I saw the power of prayer, and was comforted by God's tangible hand on my life. 

Today I was with a safe friend sharing my experience.  She comforted me by simply listening.   Then she placed her hand on me, her eyes teared, and with deep care she said, "I don't know what to pray, but I want the Spirit to intercede for you with groans that words cannot express."   

She didn't have to have the "right" words to pray for me, she only needed to rely on the One she knows does.

"Meanwhile, the moment we get tired in the waiting, God’s Spirit is right alongside helping us along.  If we don’t know how or what to pray, it doesn’t matter. He does our praying in and for us, making prayer out of our wordless sighs, our aching groans. He knows us far better than we know ourselves, knows our condition, and keeps us present before God.  That’s why we can be so sure that every detail in our lives of love for God 
is worked into something good."
Romans 8: 26-28

So here is my encouragement to you regarding prayer, "DON'T THINK, JUST DO IT!"

There is power in the saving name of Jesus!  That power is yours for the taking.  Take it. 

Don't get intimidated into thinking you won't have the right words.  Don't be bullied into thinking your prayer's won't matter.  Don't be oppressed and think 'prayer isn't my thing' or 'I'm not a prayer-warrior like this person or that.'

That's all Liar talk.
Push past his lies, and fight for people.


"And this is the confidence that we have toward him, that if we ask anything according to his will he hears us. And if we know that he hears us—whatever we ask—we know that we have what we asked of him."
 1 John 5:14, 15 


"Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, 
believe that you have received it, and it will be yours." 
Mark 11:24

Don't think, just do it.

Live In Peace, 
 



Posts from 31 Days of God-giver:
Day 1- Reap What I Sow
Day2- Get To Know God  
Day3-  God is God.


5 comments:

The Olive Tree Blog said...

love this! so awesome that you have support and accountability with your spouse! It can make such a big difference!

Jennifer {Studio JRU} said...

Yes, yes, yes... just do it! I am so sorry to hear you are in pain. You are in my prayers!

In Wonder said...

sorry for your pain.
Enjoying getting caught up on this 31 days of God-giver ☺ and just wanted you to know, that even if you stopped here...these posts are a wealth of treasure!

forever folding laundry said...

i am loving these posts of yours.
i am so sorry you are in pain, my friend.
i'm praying for you, too.
i know he hears us: every word and groan.

xo.

Linda Z said...

We are so blessed to have husbands and friends who intercede for us. So. Incredibly. Blessed.

I need to stop listening to the Liar... he is a big jerk!!