To Read on the Journey

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Great Sorrow Becomes Great Joy!

This is me.  
1984. 
10 yrs old.  
Chubby cheeks. 
Silly personality. 
I don't know who took this photo of me on my elementary school campus.
I don't know who gave me the cross necklace...
but I'm certain they hoped the cross would change my life (24).
 
When I was 10 "dad" 3 walked out of my life and "dad" 4 (of 7) galloped in on his non-white horse. 
I was wise enough to the ways of my world to know this "dad," who thought he was our "knight in shining armor," wasn't staying.
Though  I was a child I was no longer disillusioned by promises of forever.
I no longer believed a refuge home and a wealth of love would be mine.
Instead of hoping I waited for forever promises to be broken. 
Someone had to live in reality. 
I had to let go of their fairy-tales.

As I let go I concluded that I was not worthy of all the delightful things little girls truly hoped for...
to be someones beauty,
to be a father's treasure
to be wanted
to be loved

BUT GOD

This 27yr old photo sits beside me with each post I type.
I look at it and hear the Redeemer say,
"I gave you the cross.  Abundant Life.  Forever.  Life in the wealth of My deep love for you.

I look at the 10yr old girl wearing the cross necklace,
and I whisper in her little girl ear, "God always had victory in mind for you."{25}

And my great sorrow becomes my great joy.(26)
You're Beautiful.
You are treasured
You are sacred
You are His.


Sharing 100 Joys with Sarah Marley.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

love you girl.

it is a joy sharing my heart with you,
knowing yours in mine

It's a Wannabe Decorator's Life said...

What a testimony! Thank you for sharing! You are loved!

Simply Sara said...

joy.
beauty.
treasure.

you are all these things.

love you friend.

Michele said...

I really like your new sweater. I purchased one for me this weekend and one for my MIL. Kathleen is just the neatest person with the some of the best WIWW outfits I've seen. I met her through WIWW and she's one of my favorite blog friends. The shirts you made for your girls are adorable! I love the joy list. I hadn't heard about that until your blog. Makes me think of the verse Nehemiah 8:10.

Jennifer said...

Absolutely beautiful. God is in the business of redemption and I love that.

Alexis said...

I love this song, great addition to the post.