To Read on the Journey

Tuesday, December 22, 2009

but God

i recently mentioned in this post, that the two words "but God" are the most beautiful words...that these two words can say everything.

i had intended to write a post sharing with you why i believe that, but my friend thea beat me to it. i'm glad she did because her words say what i wanted to say perfectly!

below are thea's words. stop by and visit her blog, and tell her denise sent you!

"But God." My friend Denise has gotten me thinking about these words a lot. She's right--they're some of the most beautiful words ever.


I love that you can write anything in front of them. Anything! Stories of soiled souls, hopeless happenings, and seemingly unredeemable circumstances, and then swoop in right behind them with "BUT GOD" and the rest all fades in comparison.


"I was rejected by those who should have loved me." BUT GOD.


"My accusers breathe lies against me day and night." BUT GOD.


"I made selfish choices that hurt others and cost me my ministry." BUT GOD.


"I couldn't hold it all together and it fell apart." BUT GOD.



I was thinking about these words this morning especially as I read through Isaiah 60 and camped out on verse 2:


"See, darkness covers the earth
and thick darkness is over the peoples,
BUT THE LORD rises upon you
and His glory appears over you."


Darkness...thick darkness. BUT THE LORD.



And so often this "But God" part seems to always have to do with revealing His glory. Through our reprehensible deeds and those done to us, He is all about revealing His glory in us and through us.



________________________....BUT GOD.



Go ahead and fill in the blank. There's nothing in the first part of the sentence that supercedes the power and the glory and the majesty of the second.

and tell me, what is your "but God?"

4 comments:

Simply Sara said...

Loved this!

I use to think that my "but God" moment was limited to my "birth story".
Now I can see so many more "buts" in my journey.

I was/am (still some days) a weary tired mama.... BUT GOD.
I felt rejected.... BUT GOD.
I felt overwhelmed and burdened.... BUT GOD.

He is there to redeem and restore...
All my shortcomings.
All my failures.
All my insecurites.

"BUT GOD" will continue to mold us as we walk out this life.

Thea Nelson said...

I was born into an unbelieving family...BUT GOD.

I've been unwanted and endured the sting of rejection...BUT GOD.

Apart from Him, I am not worthy to be used in any way...BUT GOD.

I am totally a work-in-progress more than I'd like to be, especially when it comes to greatly fearing rejection and having to have the approval of others...BUT GOD.

I don't know what's coming...BUT GOD.

denise said...

Awesome post.

Lynn said...

Hi Denise. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I hope you will come again. I feel like I already know you, a little, from reading Kristen and Sarah's blogs.

I loved this post. The past few months have been a rough season for me, but there are a lot of BUT GOD's weaved throughout.

"Jesus knows me this I love." I love this line.

I don't know if you keep your profile current, but I'm currently reading "Crazy Love" too!

Hope you and your family had a wonderful Christmas.