To Read on the Journey

Friday, May 17, 2013

Wild Kisses

The kids and I have (slowly) been reading through C.S. Lewis,'  The Chronicles of Narnia series together. 

When I have my act together (this is where the "slowly" comes in) we gather together weekdays at 7:30 a.m., cuddle, and I read a chapter aloud. 

C.S. Lewis was an extraordinary storyteller,  who wondrously communicated the love and faithfulness of God. 

This morning as we finished The Silver Chair, and I could barely hold back the tears as I read -powerful.  

Setting: King Caspian has died, and his body lies in a stream at the Mountain of Aslan.  Aslan- the Lion, Eustace, and Jill are also there.  

"Son of Adam, said Aslan, "go into that thicket and pluck the thorn that you will find there, and bring it to me." 
Eustace obeyed.  The thorn was a foot long and sharp as a rapier. 
"Drive it into my paw, Son of Adam, said Aslan, holding up his right fore-paw and spreading out the great pad toward Eustace."
"Must I?" said Eustace.
"Yes." said Aslan. 
Then Eustace set his teeth and drove the thorn into the lion's pad.  And there came out a great drop of blood, redder than all the redness that you have ever seen or imagined.  And it splashed into the stream over the dead body of the King...
And the dead king King began to change.  His white beard turned to gray, and from gray to yellow, and got shorter and vanished altogether; and his sunken cheeks grew round and fresh, and the wrinkles were smoothed, and his eyes opened, and his eyes and lips both laughed, and suddenly he leaped up and stood before them- a very young man, or a boy... And he rushed to Aslan and flung his arms as far as they would go round the huge neck; and he gave Aslan the strong kisses of a king, and Aslan gave him the wild kisses of a Lion. 


{love}

And I'm sweetly reminded through a children's fairytale of~
Magnificent God 
Man driving the thorn into Savior. 
Blood "redder than all the redness you have seen or imagined" - a red that contains all the blood of all the lost who can be saved. 
Baptism by His saving blood. 
Resurrection.
Made whole. 
And then... as if that wasn't enough...the wild kisses of loving God. 


http://media-cache-ak1.pinimg.com/originals/e6/07/ad/e607ad326eac37a8ffbaada226d973d8.jpg


Have you read the Chronicles of Narnia or any of C.S. Lewis' books? 

What are your favorites? 



Live in Peace,

3 comments:

Tegan | Celebrate Twelve13 said...

I can't wait until the kids are old enough for me to read through this series with them. So much great stuff. :)

Gina said...

We've read through the series with the kids once already, but I'm feeling like it's time to visit it again. I am usually so overcome as we read them-such great books.

I'm slowly reading through Mere Christianity myself, and wow-I do love his writings!

The Olive Tree Blog said...

one of my favs! i love the magicians nephew the best in that series :)