To Read on the Journey

Monday, May 21, 2012

hello monday. goodbye baby rattlesnake!

linking up with lisa leonard and hello monday.

5:30 p.m. ~ saturday evening, emilie discovered a baby rattlesnake on the drive way. michael came to the rescue, killed it, and chucked it over the hill.

7:30 p.m.  ~ kids get out sleeping pads, bags, and pillows for a camp-out under the stars in the backyard.

7:40 p.m.  ~ me: uh, did you trap the rat yet? (a rat which has been busily building a nest behind our house for the past week. welcome to mountain living).  
michael: no.  
me: are the kids going to be okay sleeping outside with rattlesnakes and rats?!? 
michael: they'll be fine.    

8:30 p.m. ~ kids are in their bags (right outside my bedroom window and slider) giggling, star-gazing, counting shooting-stars.

10:45 p.m. ~ me: are you sure they're okay, what if someone takes them? 
michael: no one's going to take them.
me: are you sure, someone could come and take them. 
michael: they're going to be fine. they're happy.

i "sleep" with one ear open all night.

5:45 a.m. ~


hello monday. 

hello to another week of over-thinking and freaking out over these three.  hello to another week of not letting that over-thinking and freaking-out hinder them from living a full life. 

hello to new friends we met saturday coming to dinner tonight!  i'm looking forward to getting to know you... and to holding your delicious baby!   

hello to wrapping up school work this week!  i see the light at the end of this year's home-school tunnel...just a few more steps.

hello to reading aloud the last two chapters of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe to the kids, and to  the conversations the book inspires.  *cherish*

hello maycation!  4 more "sleeps" until you're here.

hello to kicking off summer by spending 2 weeks with new and old friends! 

what are you saying hello to this week? 



10 comments:

Joy said...

Hello to swimming this week! Our pool will finally be ready to swim in for the Summer. :)

Anonymous said...

Hello to two nights in a bed and breakfast with my amazing husband.

Hello to the thirteenth year of our marriage.

Hello to hope, and to nervous waiting.

Laura said...

i said goodbye to a son on a school trip for a few days and a husband on a biz trip for the week

HELLO to only 3 kids at home and not having to make big dinners!

and...
rattlesnake? rat? sleeping OUTSIDE???? really???

Jessie @ Dream and Differ said...

Hello~ I'm just stopping by from Lisa's link-up :)
I bet your kids loved sleeping outside, such a fun treat! Are you planning to read the rest of the Chronicles of Narnia? They are all wonderful, but The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe has always been my favorite.

The Olive Tree Blog said...

oh man I would be "sleeping" just like you did...lol...even if they were in the backyard ;)

uggg critters...I am not a snake fan...we live in the midwest so ours are more garden snakes ... but still snakes!

p.s. my favorite book ... the lion, the witch, and the wardrobe

Tamera Beardsley said...

What a lovely post Denise...I can so relate to over thinking and 'freaking out'...and hoping my kids live a full life...
.I did the first two plenty...but now I have one in college, one graduating high school next week and my youngest turning 16 Wednesday...and I know now they all have ...and are living... a full life!

Your three are all so beautiful...enjoy!

ps- we home
schooled too!

Unknown said...

A rattlesnake??? I still can't get past that one! Whew! Love your blog. Have a great rest of your week!

Gina said...

rattlesnakes!?! rats!?! you're one brave mama!

good for you for letting your kids embrace life...they'll have great memories!

I'm saying hello to normal life after getting back from New York...and catching up on housecleaning. wish it was as exciting as your end of school year!

TDM Wendy said...

Sorry to hear about your pet rattlesnake. And you must come visit me in the summer.
And come over to my blog today and say hi to Andre Gower. Cuz I know you are of that era. Units belts, wet seal, and all.

Jessica Johnson said...

I'm saying hello to you! For the first time in eight zillion weeks because I am a terrible blog friend. Sooo about the snake. Kayla is planning her 9th birthday party all her own. And it's a nature walk to look for snakes. HELP ME. I miss you. Goodbye.