To Read on the Journey

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

tuesday


it's tuesday and my three are at our home-school charter site for the next 4.5 hours taking classes and tests.  i am home alone.  i can't remember the last time i was alone for 4.5 hours.
josie took my strawberry shortcake lunch pail to school today.  she said her fabric lunch pail  "smelled like barf."  my 1980 lunch pail smells like "awesome."
last week emilie got a new full-size bed.  she is excited about her teenagey room and has big pinteresty plans for it.  twelve-year-old emilie needs to get a job if she wants to see her plans come to fruition.

i'm glad that though emilie's room is transforming into a "big girl" room, she still has her cow, mabel, on her bed.  after emilie named her cow mabel, i told her it reminded of the sitcom "mad about you," where character's paul and jamie also named their daughter, mabel, because "mother's always bring extra love."  sappy.   
 
when we have guests they will stay in emilie's room.  a full size bed is guest insurance. insuring that guests will be comfy for a few nights, but will miss the spaciousness of their own queens and kings and want to go home.

josie wanted emilie's twin so she could have bunk-beds again.  josie isn't a type "a" personality like her mother and brother and sister and is fine living with clutter {i envy her}.  knowing this, i told josie that one of the beds has to be made at all times. i warned her that if it is not i will take away her socks and make her wear matching white socks for a week!  she looked at me like that is the worst punishment she would ever have to endure {it would be hard on all of us. we really love her colorful feet}.
we came up with a method for deciding which bed josie will sleep in each night, roe-sham-beau. for three nights in a row i have won and josie has slept on the top.  i have mad rock-paper-scizzor skills.

we have lived in this house for 3.5 months and in that time the girls- who wanted their own rooms- have had sleepovers in each others rooms at least 2x per week.  i asked why they were having these weekly slumber parties, to which emilie replied, "i like having our own rooms but i miss the conversations we would have when we got in bed each night."

have i mentioned that i love how they love each other.

years ago i purchased this banana hanger to display a large round purple ornament that was gifted to me.  a few weeks ago i unpacked the banana hanger and hung bananas on it.  noah thought my creativity to use the ornament hanger as a banana hanger was genius.  funny. 

speaking of noah, last week we registered him for high school classes.  before registering we packed into a multipurpose room with other freshman expectant parents.  the principal opened with "what to expect when you graduate from high school."  whoooaaa nellie!  'didn't i come here to register my baby for high school!?!?'   college is another 4.5 years away... 
COLLEGE IS ONLY 4.5 YEARS AWAY!!!  
somebody hold me.

4.5 years... reminds me that i only have 4.5 hours without my kids, and what do i do??
blog about them.

the truth is i  tire of being with them all the live long days, BUT i can't stand being without them either.
i'm crazy about these people! 

i saw this video by david & jj heller the other day over at linda's blog
{thank you linda for sharing it. it makes me a thousand kinds of happy}.
i feel this way about my kids.
i feel this way about my good good man, too.


If you were a boat, my darling
A boat, my darling
I'd be the wind at your back
If you were afraid, my darling
Afraid, my darling
I'd be the courage you lack

If you were a bird, then I'd be a tree
And you would come home, my darling, to me
If you were asleep, then I'd be a dream
Wherever you are, that's where my heart will be
Oh, do you know we belong together?
Oh, do you know my heart is yours?
 
If you were the ocean, I'd be the sand
If you were a song, I'd be the band
If you were the stars, then I'd be the moon
A light in the dark, my darling, for you

Oh, do you know we belong together?
Oh, do you know my heart is yours?

Oh, do you know we belong together?
Oh, do you know my heart is yours?
Oh, do you know we belong together?
Oh, do you know my heart is yours?




10 comments:

Joy said...

I think I need to go to my parents' house and find my lunch box.

Love the girls' rooms.

Laura said...

when Nick and I were dating, my mom pointed out a banana hanger in the store and said, "you should get this, for Nick to hang his banana."
true story.

oh, man
why are you not my neighbor?
I had a crappy day and am feeling sad for myself and I think if I could sit with you for a bit and chat I would feel better.

although, just visiting this space does cheer me up.

hope you enjoyed your 4 hours....xo

Linda Z said...

I am so happy you are a thousand kinds of happy. I have literally been singing that song all. day. long. Except when I was in public, but I should have just sung it at my doctor's office, too.

Emilie's room is very cute and grown up.

Just to let you know, you need to be in SLO somewhere between June 14-July 1, because PCPA is doing Little Women the musical and I'm pretty sure we should go. :)

Simply Sara said...

hmmmm... this post makes me all kinds of sadppy. (sad-happy)

because i just miss you.
you and your lovely family.
even though we've only ever met in the computer :-)

i really do just love you.
i'm not sure how we've gone this long without talking...we need to change that.
really.
and
truly.

Gina said...

I love this, I love hearing about your daughter's sleepovers and night time chats because my girls do the same, and I love your Josie...she reminds me of my Aida. Having matching anything would be torture for her. And we adore that in her.

Glad you're getting settled in your new place!

Anonymous said...

1. I love your daughter's new rooms.

2. I think I had that lunch box.

3. The banana hanger story = awesome.

4. I love JJ Heller and now have to download that song.

5. I hate JJ Heller because her hair is so stinking cute and my hair is never that cute.

6. I love you! :)

Kathleen said...

I love Emilie's bedroom! Oh my gosh, it is so pretty. Get some fresh sheets ready, I'm on my way :)

Stephanie said...

Loved this girl...especially the part about the full size bed being guest insurance. My youngest refuses to give up her day bed and my middle is convinced its because little sister doesn't want guest to sleep in her room. Poor Lydia always gets the couch when family are here. lol! I assured her the week of her wedding, we will not let anyone sleep in her room...she will get to sleep the last night at home in her own bed and NOT on the couch! lol...

Wendi@EveryDayMiracles said...

Your decorating style is so fabulous.

And I love that Noah thought you were being very creative in using the "ornament hanger" for a banana holder. Awesome. ;)

denise said...

How is it I'd never heard that song? I love it! Thanks for posting it.

Your posts make me smile. Always.