To Read on the Journey

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Whole Lot-a Camping Going On

Each summer Michael picks one kiddo to have an overnighter with him in his tent in our yard. This year it was Josie's turn. She was thrilled to have daddy time, to stay up late, to read stories to him from her first and second phonic books- "Sam and Pam can bat" and " Tom has a ham." She also loved snuggling close to her daddy and stargazing.

Josie's favorite thing about camping was going next door to the neighbor's (our very good friends Steve and Melanie) house and making animal noises outside their window.
Why would we do this? Steve and Melanie have a new tent, and it is set up in their living room. They are sleeping in it all week (which I could never do knowing my cozy mattress was down the hall) and doing something campingish every evening. They have already roasted marshmallows over a torch, and last night were playing cards when we -the mountain lion, coyote, and swallow arrived to startle them.

I think tonight Steve should get out his guitar and play Cumbaya while Melanie eats gorp!

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

Hey!
Thank you so much for leaving a comment for me today - I do love having "visitors!" I enjoyed browsing here for a few minutes and I look forward to coming back soon (dinner is boiling away!). You have some great pics (I have to say, my favorite so far is the one of you dancing...it's a GOOD thing if you can look good while you're having fun! :) ). Boy, your daughter is a cutie! Looks like she had a great time camping with Daddy. These are the days! :)

Sarah Markley said...

Ah, the days of gorp. Actually, there is some on a bag on my counter. I am so glad they had fun... I always love ideas like this that are passed along.

Jennifer said...

Denise! I keep leaving comments, but I can't help it...I'm captivated by your story. You've written beautifully about difficult things, and it brings glory to God! I am headed to bed, but I took one last quiet moment to browse first, and I'm glad I did. I came over from my site when I read your comment, because in some sense, I understand exactly what you mean about remembering who you really are. I've also been there... not feeling well will definitely do that to you, but so will aging, and motherhood, and just the "dailiness" of life! (and I have experienced it on all fronts, I think, from time to time!) Once not too long ago when I felt that way, my sweet sister picked me up, handed me $200 from her and my mom, and said, "we're going shopping for YOU today... whatever makes you feel pretty again, we're buying!" It was the beginning of a "remembering" for me, that Saturday. From time to time, we need refreshing, and God is so good to give us exactly what we need, at just the right time.
Thanks so much for sharing your story!
Jen

lindsey said...

i think its so funny that steve and melanie are "camping", yet they have a tv remote in their tent!

Denise said...

They were watching the Simpsons!