To Read on the Journey

Friday, September 21, 2012

Sweet 16


16 years ago Michael picked me up and carried me out of the church after we were announced "Mr. & Mrs."  He's still carrying me.

Every morning since our first morning as husband and wife he's told me, "I'm so glad that you're my wife. " (there were plenty of mornings he shouldn't have been glad)
He thinks I'm pretty without a shower, or make-up, and with funky, greasy hair.

On "early days" (days he leaves before the sunrises for work) he kisses sleeping me on the forehead  and whispers "Jesus" in my ear.  

He's a calm referee between me and one of our kids, whose personality is just like mine- stubborn and always right.  

He speaks what I need to hear, not what I want to hear (a blogworthy journey).   I respect and trust him more for it.

He is generous in the way he cares for me. 

He makes the best Saturday morning breakfasts.

He is my favorite (don't tell Noah, Emilie, or Josie because each one of them thinks they are my favorite, too).

He calls me "Sweetie."   
  
He works 4 jobs (1 full time, and 3 from home jobs) so I can stay home with our kids.  He's grateful and never complains about it.
He calls me in the middle of the day just to hear my voice. 

He is intentional everyday about playing or being with the kids.

Cuddling with him is the best way to end the day... best way to begin the day, too.  

He likes to bake.  He makes an insanely delicious Heath Toffee crunch cheesecake with homemade caramel sauce. 

He is my very best friend. 

He is REALLY NICE TO LOOK AT.   

He gives me grace.  A lot of grace. A lot a lot a lot of grace.   

He applauds me when I am brave. 

He reads the word to us, points us to Truth, prays with us and for us.

He steals kisses from me in the pantry.   


He's a jack-of-all-trades. He can do, or make, or MacGyver his way out of anything. Fear of failure doesn't keep him from trying. The desire to tackle something motivates him.   

He took intercessory prayer classes to learn how to fight for me through prayer during a very dark time in my life.  He still fights for me. 

He nudges me to use my gifts and tells me repeatedly that I'm capable.   
 
He tries to Patrick Swayze lift me like Jennifer Grey in Dirty Dancing.  "I've had the time of my life" being his wife.    

He says the wittiest things.

He is not self-seeking.  He gladly considers me and the kids before himself.

He gets me... I don't even get me, but he gets me.

I see a WHOLE lot of who Jesus is reflected in Michael.  Because of my "Better Half"  I see and know and love Jesus more.



Happy Sweet 16th Anniversary, Michael!

I'm so glad that I'm your wife.





12 comments:

Joy said...

So precious. We're on our sweet 16 year too.

Joy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Linda Z said...

Happy Sweet 16, you two. This is just precious. You make an amazing pair, and I am so glad that God brought you together. :)

Kathleen said...

beautiful! Have a fantastic celebration together.

Spencers said...

LOVE this post. Congrats on your sweet 16!!

Tia said...

Wow. That was fantastic! Aren't good marriages just the cat's meow?

Congratulations!

Ginger said...

Sweetest testimony! Happy 16th.

Crissy @ House of Marlowe said...

What an amazing love..... and blessing. Congrats!

Between You and Me said...

Happy, Happy 16th!
We just celebrated ours back in August!!

I'm so glad you stopped by my blog bc it gave me a chance to come over and "meet" you.

Our husbands sound very similar..."he gets me. I don't even get me but he does." I love that part. I relate!

Jennifer {Studio JRU} said...

This is such a sweet love story. Beautiful and precious. Happy Anniversary!!

The Olive Tree Blog said...

awwwwwww such a sweet post!! happy anniversary!

Unknown said...

So sweet! I love how you edify your husband.