To Read on the Journey

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Chalkboards & My "Part"

We've had an unframed homemade chalkboard for over a year.  I used it for this and this.
We had planned to frame it all fancy like with molding from the Depot, but that costs $ and for some reason the people around here think eating trumps fancy molding.

Because the chalkboard was not at all what I planned I abandoned it and let it collect dust and cobwebs in the garage with other neglected whatchumawhozits.

Then when we'd all eaten our fill we came into some free weathered wood. 
We used some of it on this. 
I liked the rustic look of the weathered wood so much that my I-really-want-the-chalkboard-framed wheels started turning...

"Michael, could you..."

And of course, he could.


When it comes to talent I am visionary and Michael is capable.
He would never think up the things I do, and I could never create the things he makes.

Over the course of (nearly) 16 years of marriage we have learned to marry our gifts, and have discovered we compliment each other so well.
My spinning wheels are a gift to him, 
and his ability is a gift to me...
and to the rest of the family, who gets to keep eating. 




Here's what is written on the chalkboard...what I NEED to be reminded of daily. 

Each person is given something to do that shows who God is: Everyone gets in on it, everyone benefits.  All kinds of things are handed out by the Spirit, and to all kinds of people! ... God has carefully placed each part of the body right where he wanted it... No part is important on its own... You are Christ's body- that's who you are!  You must never forget this.  Only as you accept your part of that body does your "part" mean anything... Go after a life of love as if your life depended on it- because it does.  Give yourselves to the gifts God gives you. 
From 1 Corinthians 12&13- The Message.

I really want to accept my part of the body of Christ. I'm guilty of coveting your part, and her part, and his, and that other person's part, too.

My part isn't at all what I planned, and it isn't what it use to be (I've been mourning the use to be), but I need to get over that and give myself to the gifts God HAS given me, now.  My "part" is suppose to "show who God is;" it's suppose to mean something.
I want that. 

I'm going to keep these words up on our snazy chalkboard till I get them through my thick skull... or until Emilie replaces it with a "chalk family photo" or Michael chalks it up to look like a "flat screen t.v."

What kinds of gifts has the Spirit handed out to you to show who God is? 


8 comments:

Unknown said...

I need this sticky taped all over my house.

Thank you Denise.

xoxo

Heather said...

I love it!! I so want to put a chalkboard somewhere in our house I think it is such a great way to hang up scripture! I have been keeping my eye out at the thrift store for a cute frame I can turn into one ~Love Heather

Heather said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gina said...

That's probably a little big for a tattoo, right?

We have to accept those gifts he's given, and then then he gets the glory.

He's given me some gifts that I've struggled with, but as I grow I learn how they work in the body and I'm so grateful for how he has made me.

And I love how you can put your visionary gifts to work and how your husband can make them happen, my husband and I usually operate the same way. And we love reclaimed, handed down and used up stuff. When we make use of those we can happily put clothes on our kids backs and food in their stomachs. :)

Jennifer {Studio JRU} said...

I love how you said you have learned to marry your gifts, and have discovered you compliment each other so well. That is so sweet and so wonderful! Love the chalkboard and the great frame! :)

The Olive Tree Blog said...

sooooooo pretty! Great post too! Our pastor wrote a book about finding your spiritual gifts...it was great to learn!

Susan Holt Simpson said...

I love that you have such a great message chalked up in the most comfortable room! And the weathered frame -wonderful.

Empty Nest Full Life said...

Great chalkboard, and I do need this reminder. Thanks for sharing.