To Read on the Journey

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

BUNKO!


I was invited to sub for Bunko this evening. I have attempted to make myself a preferred substitute choice, by bringing exceptional appetizers, my likeability and witty personality, and in case that's not enough- that I own a card table with chairs.
Somehow I am not on the preferred list (it may be that my personality is a bit more quirky than witty)!

This is such a fun time. I enjoy each of the women. Most are mommies I see for moments here or there (which is never long enough). Some are mommies with stories I do not know, but want to. I find I am more interested in hearing their stories than playing the game. More interested in hearing and seeing their laughter than rolling the dice. More interested in dropping the togetherness of life, and enjoying for a bit being silly girls.

8 comments:

Sarah Markley said...

You are so sweet for linking me! Ha...I've never actually played Bunko, but I live in kind of a bunko area...hmmm, I should give it a try! Looks fun, Denise.

I'm Tara. said...

I love Bunko!! For whatever reason, I ALWAYS have stuff going on that Friday night and have to miss it. It's such a fun time -- glad you got to sub.

So which appetizer did you take?? :) I bet you won them over all on your own!!

Jennifer said...

That is so much fun... I never get to laugh as long and hard as I do with good friends. There's something about being with other girls that brings out the "silly," and makes you feel young again.

Denise said...

I didn't bring an appetizer this time, but in the past I have brought Loaded Mini Burritos.
a tortilla, loaded with black beans, cheese, olives, and corn. Deep fried (so it's nice and crunchy) and served on a platter with homemade salsa.

Anonymous said...

you are all those things: quirky, witty, and silly. all the things i love about you. but there is so much more to you. reading your blogs feels like i'm reading the journals you have written in for years. what a privilege to read and share in your moments of joy, discovery, pain and blessings when you know He is always there for you. i am proud to call you daughter-in-love. cindy

Melody said...

I am a wildcat at Bunko! Maybe someday I'll play with you!

I'm Tara. said...

Denise - I have a little shout out for you on my blog. :) Go take a peek!

Jennifer Partin said...

I use to be a big Bunko player---we play it here in Japan too. (the Japanese houses are much smaller so it's a challenge to squeeze everyone in) I haven't played it in years. Maybe I'll grab a few friends and play it again. :)