To Read on the Journey

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Stellllllaaaaaa!!!

last month for our anniversary my husband surprised me with a GUITAR!
( i'm not going to tell you that he also surprised me with a babysitter, yellow roses, and dinner at the cheesecake factory, out of fear that you'll become bitter towards me for having the most AWESOME husband E.VER! ).

i know what some of you ol' faithful blog friends are thinking, 'didn't he surprise you with a guitar last year?'
yes, he did, BUT he surprised me with a guitar AGAIN!

here she is, isn't she beautiful!my first guitar was pretty much the bottom of the line lets-see-if-denise-is-really-going-to-learn-to-play-the-guitar guitar. it appears that after a little over a year of playing i have proven myself worthy, and my sweet husband invested in me and my guitar playing passion. isn't he the SWEETEST!

by the way the guitar salesman said it was bad luck to name your guitar so i haven't. but if i was going to name her (which of course i'm not, because i don't want bad guitar luck- i need all the help i can get) i'd name her stella. she looks like a stella.

and i love it! i love playing the guitar.

i joyfully take stella her out of her case, take in her fragrance, set out my music, take her in my hands, and anticipate what is going to come out of her, and me as i worship (usually joined by my back up singers, emilie and josie).

and it is something i never thought i'd be able to do. something i'd longed for, but thought it was something this 35 yr old, uncoordinated girl was incapable of.
but it's not.

and i have to wonder maybe i'm not incapable of the other things i wish i could accomplish. maybe i'm not too old to begin. maybe i'll fail. but maybe if i try i'll be stirred up to be passionate and capable of more than laundry and cooking (which i'm not very good at all).

what do you long to do or learn?

6 comments:

Thea Nelson said...

SEW!!!! I want to learn to sew. And I will. But I will say the last time I tried, I made this little black dress, and then Kelly's mom was going to take a look at it and I tried it on and she said "OH MY GOODNESS, Thea. Good thing you didn't wear this in public." Then she pulled one thread and the dress fell apart, right off my body. Apparently I'd used a tacking stitch??? That could've been embarrassing. It was bad enough standing there in my chonies in front of Kelly's mom...

Heart2Heart said...

Denise,

I think your next vlog should be you sharing your new guitar with all of us and sing us a song. You are like that and I look forward to seeing it soon. Love you and great gifts. Lucky you! Cheesecake Factory huh? Did you get some cheesecake?

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

NerdMom said...

There are so many things I want to learn do! Dancing, singing and piano (but don't tell anyone;).

Nancy said...

Wow.. this is on my list. I have never touched a guitar but want to learn so bad. i don't think a 36 year old like me is too old, right? ok...i can do it. I actually posted my "someday list." check it out if you get a chance.
http://thegoatandthekid.blogspot.com/2009/10/my-someday-list.html
congratulations on going for it! :)

Jessica said...

Hey Denise! I've had a great time catching up on what's been going on in your life since our computer breakdown and our bout with H1N1. Thanks for all the vlogging. How fun to watch you at your class reunion! Funny stuff. And how wonderful of your husband to upgrade your guitar since you've "earned" it. ;) I've also wanted to learn to play but should probably just perfect my piano skills instead. Although hauling a guitar around is easier than a piano.

Glad to see that you're doing well and I hope to get a bunch of posts ready so you can catch up on my life. ;) Have a great weekend!!

Kristen said...

i want to see a vlog of you singing with stella too!